Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bees Pay NO Rent

"Bee situation has escalated to def con 3"

That is an exact text message that I have kept in my inbox since last August, just because its hilarious.

Last summer we noticed bees flying INTO our house from the outside.. not through windows, or a door, or a vent... just a little crack in the cinderblock walls that make up the walk out basement.  There were a LOT of them... but we sprayed and just hoped they would go away.

Then we noticed some inside the basement.  Turns out, they built themselves some sort of evil hive inside the cinderblock walls and many of them found their way "out" through a super tiny little hole inside the basement.  First we noticed some flying around thinking the window would let them out.  Then we noticed some dying on the floor.  Then, hundreds dead on the floor.

"How big is that hive?" I daringly asked a few times.  No one is certain and the landlord just thought spray would fix it.

Last summer we also noticed a very small beehive inside a window on the 2nd floor (same wall).  That was taken care of and nothing new happened.

Last week, sitting right here at my desk I heard buzzing.  I thought something was stuck in the window screen or whatever.  I heard this day after day but forgot to mention it.  Yesterday morning I heard it again and told BF last night.

He started to smack the walls seeing if something would make a noise.  At one point he slammed between the two windows and a bee FLEW outside at warp speed.  He sprayed. 

This morning I hear it again.

And.

Its angry.

I have a very bad feeling that if the wall/whole side of the house was stripped from the outside, there would be nothing but beehives insulating the structure.

To be continued, I'm sure...

No comments: