Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Kids Are.... just ok.

A few weeks ago, a friend and I went to a free screening of the film "The Kids are All Right".  It was a spectacularly well-made film, with of course an amazing cast.

I think the message was relevant, the story line fascinating and the on-screen chemistry really fun.  I want to preface this by saying I really DO think that I liked this movie.

I found out about this screening, gchatted with a friend to ask her interest and rsvp'd for 2.  I really had no information on the film other than it was free and happening on an evening where I did not have anything else going on.  I got to the theatre and saw the movie poster.  Um, Annette Bening and Julianne Moore? I immediately loved the film.  Apparently, being female the fact that Mark Ruffalo also starred should have been the reason for the love, nah.. he's good- but I prefer him in "Just Like Heaven" :-)

A little backstory.  I had a small part in the creation of the film, "The Women", which is where I was first introduced to one Annette Bening (literally and figuratively).  I had heard of her, but really had never seen her on screen.  She was absolutely amazing on set, just as a person and as an actor- very kind and gracious (at least from my perspective) and treated everyone on set (including the 3 year old girls) as adults and well, people (which is sometimes rare).  The next time "The American President" was on television, I made sure to watch. 

So, "The Kids Are All Right" had my full attention, I was laughing, I was sad, I was interested.  The came the butt, and yes I mean that with two t's (oh pun).  Like I said, I had no information on this film... not even that it was rated R.  With the information given, I really figured it would be a PG-13 sort of night.  I would have loooooooooved a warning.  Cursing is not a matter to me, but nakedness on the big screen? I just need to mentally prepare.  The first sex scene I got over.. but then there was another, followed by like 3 more involving Julianne Moore.  I got over that and tried to move on in the film.  Then came a scene with Annette rubbing Julianne's foot (oh first name basis? we're on it). It was a pleasant scene with tons of character building.  Then came Julianne's nipple.  It just seemed unneccessary, and over the top for the nakedness aspect.  Would the scene have been any less important if she had remained fully underwater? No. Hhmph.

I want to say that I liked, even loved this movie, as so many others have but I'm still getting over it.  I have, nonetheless, recommended it to friends and family (with the warning I would require).  Go see the movie while its in theatres, support independent films, try eating local, and do your research before walking into a 'sold-out' cinema.

No comments: